Recipe: Healthy Game Day Meatballs
One of the best parts of watching the Big Game is hosting a game day party. Whether you’re a die-hard fan or just enjoying the atmosphere, it’s a great time to gather with friends and family over fun, football, and most importantly … food.
Just because it’s the Big Game, it doesn’t mean you have to abandon healthy eating. You can absolutely enjoy game day without loading up on fatty, greasy, heavy foods. A healthy dish like these lean meatballs are sure to score a touchdown with your guests without getting a penalty flag for delay of diet.
1 lb. extra lean ground pork (95% fat-free)
1 lb. ground turkey
1 egg, beaten
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1 ½ cups prepared marinara sauce
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with nonstick pan spray.
2. Put meats, egg, garlic, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper into a large bowl. Combine with hands to mix well.
3. Form mixture into about 24 meatballs (about the size of a pingpong ball) and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 20-22 minutes until cooked through.
4. Serve with ¼ cup marinara sauce for some extra spice.
Makes about 24 meatballs/6 servings (1 serving = 4 meatballs)
ROASTED RED PEPPER HUMMUS
2 15-oz cans of chickpeas
1/2 cup fire-roasted red bell peppers
3 cloves minced garlic 1 tsp sea salt
2 Tbs olive oil
METHOD: Blend ingredients until smooth. ENJOY!
1 small lime4 mint leaves
3 large strawberries
1. Thoroughly wash & slice ingredients
2. Add to a pitcher & enjoy within 24 hours
3. Add ice cubes if desired
Sweet Potato Chili
1 lb ground turkey
28-oz can tomatoes
2 15-oz cans pinto beans
15-oz can kidney beans
1 large onion, diced
4 medium sweet potatoes, cubed & peeled
4 cups veggie broth
2 Tbs chili powder
1 Tbs cumin
2 tsp salt
3 cloves garlic, minced
- Brown ground turkey
- 2. Add everything to a large crockpot and cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours.