Where does God stand on the subject of Marriage, Divorce, and Remarriage?
Many people enter marriage preparing for the big day – but have no plan to maintain.
Before long the D word comes up (divorce).
Jesus said some shocking things about marriage.
His disciples even said, “If this is the case, it is better not to marry!”
1. God created marriage.
Tim Keller talks about – the meaning of marriage https://goo.gl/sB46ge
Consumer vs. Covenant
2. God hates divorce.
It makes a huge mess and affects everyone you know in one way or another.
Even bigger mess in a world of social media
3 Some Pharisees came and tried to trap him with this question: “Should a man be allowed to divorce his wife for just any reason?” 4 “Haven’t you read the Scriptures?” Jesus replied. “They record that from the beginning ‘God made them male and female.’” 5 And he said, “‘This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one.’ 6 Since they are no longer two but one, let no one split apart what God has joined together.” 7 “Then why did Moses say in the law that a man could give his wife a written notice of divorce and send her away?” they asked. 8 Jesus replied, “Moses permitted divorce only as a concession to your hard hearts, but it was not what God had originally intended. 9 And I tell you this, whoever divorces his wife and marries someone else commits adultery—unless his wife has been unfaithful.” 10 Jesus’ disciples then said to him, “If this is the case, it is better not to marry!” Matthew 19:3-10 NLT
- God invented marriage between and man and a woman
- They leave home and two become one
- God says for nobody to split the new single union apart
- Moses just allowed because they were complaining so much
- This was not God’s original plan
- If you divorce and remarry for any other reason than unfaithfulness then you are committing adultery.
- The disciples say, “forget it!”
It feels like Jesus is picking on divorced people
It feels like nobody should ever try to un-one what God made one. Yes, that true.
Jesus was only explaining how it should have been.
This is the same Jesus that also…
- Defends the women who committed adultery. He told her not to do it anymore.
- This is the same Jesus who forgave the thief on the cross
- David committed adultery with Bathsheba and they had a son named Solomon who God used.
Where do I stand with the church?
You can stand in line with the rest of us adulterers.
What should I do?
1. Take a deep breath and accept what Jesus said.
2. Confess, I didn’t know, I did know,
3. Ask for grace on your current marriage.