It’s easy to lose hope when the world seems to be filled with so much darkness. In this week’s episode of Faith & Fitness I will discuss a distinct and unique hope that only God offers.
You can go weeks without food, days without water, minutes without air, but you can’t go 5 seconds without hope.
- We put a lot of hope in different things every day.
Politics, money, drugs, alcohol, hope for the weekend, hope that we stay together, hope that I don’t get caught, hope they make it home.
- We also go through seasons of hopelessness.
You feel alone/abandoned, life seems out of control, you don’t see a purpose, grieving a loss, you don’t have what you need, you’ve done something wrong, deeply hurt by someone, pulled in the wrong direction, overtaken by fear, when it looks like defeat, when tragedy happens.
- When we come face to face with a tragedy our hope is tested.
What is hope?
- The Bible talks about 3 different types of Hope
1. Wishful Hope – I hope we get there on time – I hope I win the lottery – I hope it doesn’t rain. not guaranteed.
2. Expected Hope – If I plant something in my garden. I hope and expect it to grow. When a woman is expecting a baby – there is an expected hope. But it’s still not guaranteed.
3. Certain Hope – (Biblical Hope) You can build your life on it.
18 So God has given both his promise and his oath. These two things are unchangeable because it is impossible for God to lie. Therefore, we who have fled to him for refuge can have great confidence as we hold to the hope that lies before us. 19 This hope is a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls. Hebrews 6:18-19
- Real hope has 3 characteristics
An anchor does at least two things
1. Keeps the ship from drifting.
2. Keeps stability during a storm.
Real hope is based on God’s Word not our wishes.
This is where faith comes in.
What is faith? It is the confident assurance that something we want is going to happen. It is the certainty that what we hope for is waiting for us, even though we cannot see it up ahead. Hebrew 11:1 TLB
- Faith and hope go together
- You cannot hope without faith.
- If you have faith, you have hope.
One of Job’s friends in a speech says what is wrong with the world
…those who forget God have no hope… Job 8:13
The further we get away from God, the less hope we have (Hopeless)
The closer we get to God the more hope we have (hope)