4 Reasons why God wants you to take care of your body
May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Thessalonians 5:23 NIV
- God values your body
- He cares not only about your spirit, and soul, but he cares about your body.
- When God created us, He made us physical beings.
- He gave us food and work (Genesis 1:28-31).
- Psalm 139:13-14 talks about God knitting us together in our mother’s womb.
Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out; you formed me in my mother’s womb. I thank you, High God—you’re breathtaking! Body and soul, I am marvelously made! I worship in adoration—what a creation! Psalm 139:13-14 The Message
- Taking care of your body honors God
- Glorifying God should be the objective in every Christian’s life.
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31
- Paul uses “Temple” as his audience would be familiar with it
- It’s also what Jesus referred to as His earthly body was a temple (John 2:19-21)
- Our bodies and the church collectively are the Spirit’s dwelling place.
19 Do you not know that your body is a house of God where the Holy Spirit lives? God gave you His Holy Spirit. Now you belong to God. You do not belong to yourselves. 20 God bought you with a great price. So honor God with your body. You belong to Him. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 NLT
- You’re setting an example
And you yourself must be an example to them by doing good works of every kind. Let everything you do reflect the integrity and seriousness of your teaching. Titus 2:7 NLT
- I always tell my classes at the gym that working out is selfishly unselfish.
- You are taking care of yourself so that you can be an example and be better for everyone around you.
- You’ll have more energy to do God’s Work
- The more fit and healthy we are the more energy we will have.
- The more energy we have the more we can put into what God has us doing.
- We will set ourselves up for God to use for the long haul.
For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. Ephesians 2:10 NLT
- Don’t get caught up in how you look, this won’t lead you anywhere
- God is not concerned with our physical appearance or our health in the way that our society often is.
People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart. 1 Samuel 16:7 NLT